The Greek community of Hungary paid tribute to eminent 19th century Diaspora Greek Nikolaus Dumba. By initiative of the Self-government of Greeks in Hungary, Budapest Municipal Authorities, and the Research Institute of Greeks in Hungary, a commemorative plaque was unveiled at the house at 57 Kirally St. where this great benefactor and patron of the arts died in 1900.

Greek Ambassador Spyros Georgiles and Austrian Ambassador Michael Zimmermann unveiled the plaque, created by Greek Diaspora artist Stefanos Stefanou.

Dumba was an Austro-Hungarian industrialist and liberal politician of Greek descent. He was born in Vienna in 1830 to a family of Greek immigrants from Vlasti. In 1853, he started his entrepreneurial career with a cotton spinning factory in Tattendorf, Austria. Dumba was an important patron of the arts, and music in particular.

He was a close friend of Wagner and Strauss, and it was in his summer house on the shores of Danube that Strauss’ legendary Blue Danube was composed and presented for the first time.

He was also the main sponsor for the building of the famous Vienna Music Hall Musikverein, which stands on Dumba Straße until today.

He was also an important benefactor to his family’s native village of Vlasti. He was honoured with the Knights’ Cross (Rittercreuz) by the Austrian Emperor, although, along with his father and brother, he declined knighthood due to his liberal views. He was appointed Senator for Life at the Austrian Parliament and honourary citizen of Vienna.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Greek-Hungarian Bilateral Relations